Tri-State Transportation Campaign seeks a dynamic and experienced Data & Policy Analyst to conduct data analysis, write compelling, media-friendly reports and white papers, and work with senior staff to develop campaign strategy and tactics as part of Tri-State’s advocacy for sustainable transportation policies.
Tri-State Transportation Campaign conducts advocacy to promote a more balanced and equitable transportation system in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. We were formed in 1994 by the region’s major environmental and planning organizations to reduce the impacts of car dependency and sprawl development. Since our founding, we have stopped wasteful road expansion projects and won millions more in funding for mass transit, bicycle, and pedestrian projects. Currently, Tri-State Transportation Campaign is focused on winning campaigns for better public transit, safer streets, improving subways and commuter rail, and modernizing bus networks throughout the region.
Essential job duties of the Data & Policy Analyst include:
- Analyzing existing local, state, and federal data sets pertaining, but not limited, to: transportation spending, transit ridership, economic impacts of transportation spending and usage patterns, and traffic fatalities and injuries;
- Analyzing state, local, and federal budgets and legislation;
- Drafting original reports, white papers, and fact sheets across multiple campaigns for dissemination to elected and agency officials and the media;
- In conjunction with senior Tri-State staff, developing strategies and tactics to win campaigns to improve transportation throughout the region;
- Providing analytical and statistical support for other staff program work;
- Working with elected officials’ offices to enhance their understanding of state and regional transportation needs;
- Engaging in media interviews to discuss research findings.
This is a full-time position based in our Manhattan office. Salary commensurate with experience.
- Candidate must have at least two years of relevant work experience and be politically savvy, energetic, highly motivated and have excellent analytical, research and writing skills.
- Demonstrated competence in GIS (ArcGIS) software or equivalent online mapping programs.
- Experience with basic statistics and data analysis.
- Experience working with/within transportation agencies or legislative offices preferred.
- Experience with statistical software such as Stata or R and Adobe CS (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) preferred.
- Graduate degree in urban planning, public policy, environmental policy, political science, or related field preferred. Undergraduate candidates with outstanding work experience will also be considered.
How to Apply:
- Send your résumé, cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Data & Policy Analyst.”
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged.
- Tri-State Transportation Campaign is an equal opportunity employer, and women, candidates of color, queer/LGBTQ candidates, and other candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.